Are beagles good house pets
If you want a dog who…
- Is conveniently-sized, sturdy, and athletic
- Is completely natural in appearance
- Has a short easy-care coat
- Loves exercise, play, and outdoor activities
- Is good-natured and peaceful with everyone
A Beagle may be right for you.
If you don’t want to deal with…
- An extremely careful search to find good-tempered lines
- Providing a goodly amount of exercise, not just a couple of walks around the block
- Destructiveness when bored or not exercised enough
- An independent “what’s in it for me?” attitude – can be obstinate
- Keeping him on-leash or securely fenced
- Controlling baying and howling
- Slowness to housebreak
- Moderate to heavy shedding
- A distinctive doggy odor
- Concerns about a lot of potential health problems in the breed
A Beagle may not be right for you.
Keep in mind that the inheritance of temperament is less predictable than the inheritance of physical traits such as size or shedding. Temperament and behavior are also shaped by raising and training. Are beagles good house pets
- You can avoid some negative traits by choosing an ADULT dog from an animal shelter or rescue group. With an adult dog, you can easily see what you’re getting, and plenty of adult Beagles have already proven themselves not to have negative characteristics.
- If you want a puppy, you can avoid some negative traits by choosing the right breeder and the right puppy. Unfortunately, you usually can’t tell whether a puppy has inherited temperament or health problems until he grows up.
- Finally, you can avoid some negative traits by training your Beagle to respect you and by following the 11-step care program in my book, 11 Things You Must Do Right To Keep Your Dog Healthy and Happy.
More traits and characteristics of Beagles
If I was considering a Beagle, I would be most concerned about… Are beagles good house pets
- Unstable temperaments. Beagles are supposed to be a stable, reliable breed. Unfortunately, obedience instructors and behavioral consultants, like myself, see too many Beagles who are fearful or neurotic. If you’re considering a Beagle puppy, you need to look carefully at the temperament of BOTH parents. If you’re considering a Beagle adult, you should test his temperament (several important tests) before bringing him home. You can learn how to do this in my Dog Quest book. Are beagles good house pets
- Providing enough exercise. Beagles need more exercise than the typical amble around the block that many owners give them. Beagles who don’t get enough exercise become bored, destructive, noisy, and/or obese, which puts stress on their joints and causes health problems. Beagles need regular opportunities to stretch their legs and RUN, if you want them to remain healthy and fit.But Beagles should run inside an enclosed area like a yard or dog park. You shouldn’t trust these dogs off-leash – they will follow their nose wherever it leads them and pursue anything that runs.
- Fence security. Many Beagles are clever escape artists who will go over or under fences in search of adventure. You may need higher fences than you might imagine for their small size. They can climb chain link. You may also need to sink wire into the ground along the fence line to thwart digging. Gates should have the highest quality locks, as some Beagles can open flimsy latches.
- Housebreaking. Many Beagles are a little slow to pick up on the housebreaking concept. Expect several months of consistent crate training before the light bulb goes on. Read more on housebreaking your Beagle. Are beagles good house pets
- Noise. Beagles should never be left outside in your yard, unsupervised. Their mournful baying and howling will have your neighbors calling the cops to report the nuisance, or quietly letting your Beagle out of his yard so he’ll wander away and stop disturbing them.
- Stubbornness. Beagles are not easy to train. Truth be told, they are independent thinkers who don’t particularly care about pleasing you. Food is a great motivator with Beagles, but too many cookies equals a fat Beagle. Also you don’t want a dog who only obeys when you’re waving a biscuit. Instead you should establish the right relationship between the two of you, where you are the leader and he is the follower. Read more about Beagle Training. Are beagles good house pets
- Shedding and doggy odor. For such a shorthaired dog, Beagles shed much more than you might think – on the high side of average. In addition, like all scenthounds, Beagles have a distinct doggy odor.
- Potential health problems. Many Beagles live a good long life, but they are prone to a dismaying number of health problems, including itchy skin conditions, ear infections, many different eye disease, joint problems, hypothyroidism, diabetes, epilepsy, and heart disease. Read more about Beagle Health.
The Popular Breed: The Beagle
Why are Beagles so popular and extremely loved? Ask any Beagle owner, and they will be happy to say it all! Indeed, Beagles can bring lots of joy to the household of many dog lovers. This breed is known for its irresistible floppy ears, expressive eyes, and merry, happy-go-lucky character. Among one of its greatest qualities is perhaps the fact that Beagles can be quite low-maintenance if we compare them to other breeds. Are beagles good house pets
Pros of Owning a Beagle
- They have a great sense of smell. Beagles are categorized by the AKC under the hound group. These are dogs that have been bred for their great quality of being able to detect smells. This has made them ideal hunting dogs allowing them to accompany humans for several years in hunting sessions chasing rabbits.Are beagles good house pets
- They are social but independent. Temperament-wise, Beagles are social beings that enjoy groups and children, yet they can be independent at times, allowing their owners’ space. They may follow their owners and stick to their sides, but without being overwhelming. However, they are far from being aloof. They should be kept in a friendly home and raised underfoot. Confining them to the yard or large outdoor kennel does not meet their needs for companionship and may cause them to feel isolated. are beagles good house pets.Are beagles good house pets
- They are mischievous. One of the most intriguing behaviors of Beagles is that they may be quite mischievous. It is not unheard of beagles that like to steal objects from their owners. They may then take off and hide their treasured object.Are beagles good house pets
- They have lots of energy. Because they have a history of hunting down rabbits, Beagles are quite energetic beings for small-sized dogs. They require brisk daily walks to keep their energy under control. This works as a great incentive for lazy owners that need to get more exercise and fresh air. Also, for those owners that are not too fond of grooming, the good news is that their coat is pretty easy to maintain, requiring some grooming but not as much as many other dog breeds.Are beagles good house pets